We just released Pressbooks Stats 1.6.1, which fixes an issue with retrieving network storage when the uploads directory is a symbolic link. We’ll be deploying this update to all our hosted networks by Wednesday, October 17th.
In Q3, we added a couple new and exciting features to Pressbooks:
- Image attributions (thanks to Brad and Alex at BCcampus)
- New shortcodes to facilitate adding more complex content
We also released a new Open Source plugin, Pressbooks Shibboleth SSO, which provides bilateral Shibboleth SSO integration for Pressbooks networks. And we converted a few more themes to use Buckram, our theme component library, which gives us added flexibility to add new theme options for all themes.
In Q4 we’re wrapping up a few loose ends from our Q3 goals:
- UX improvements to the webbook Table of Contents
- UX improvements to the Export page
We’re also working on:
- UI and UX improvements to the Theme Options page
- Adding support for DOIs in Book Info and metadata outputs
- Testing integration with Gutenberg, WordPress’ new editing interface
- Continuing to convert themes and improve Buckram
As always, we’d love to hear your ideas for Pressbooks, so feel free to share them in the Pressbooks Community Forum!
This sprint we’re working on finishing some improvements to the webbook Table of Contents, an internal tool for our users to manage their communications preferences with Pressbooks, and converting more of our themes to Buckram.
We’ve just updated Pressbooks, McLuhan, Aldine, and Pressbooks Stats with some bug fixes and improvements, and we’ll be deploying these changes to our PressbooksEDU networks tomorrow. You can check out the full changelogs on our documentation site, or get an overview on our October 3rd Release board.
This sprint, we’ll be working on:
- Refinements to the forthcoming glossary feature
- Cloning and API support for glossary terms
- User experience and accessibility improvements to the Export page
- Continued work on user experience improvements to the webbook table of contents
- Developing a user experience strategy for the Theme Options page to make it more intuitive and less intimidating while improving its extensibility
We just released Pressbooks 5.5.1, which fixes an issue in the release packaging for Pressbooks 5.5.0 that caused some problems with the cover generator. We encourage all users to update at their earliest convenience.
As many of you know, we maintain a forum for Open Source users of Pressbooks at https://discourse.pressbooks.org. After some internal discussion, we’ve decided to close down the #opensource channel on Pressbooks Slack and refocus our Open Source community efforts on the forum. We’ve decided on this change because we believe that keeping conversations among our Open Source users on the open web is the best way to serve the broadest possible community of Pressbooks users. Many of you are already members of our Discourse forum and are actively involved sharing tips & tricks, suggesting features and helping your fellow Open Source users. If you aren’t yet a member, we encourage you to sign up! Thanks and please don’t hesitate to follow up with me by email — ned [at] pressbooks.com — if you have any questions.